Hmm. Brown lipstick. The words don’t even sound remotely glamorous, and yet, as anyone who’s been on Kylie Jenner’s Instagram will know, it can look gorgeous. But put down the Coffee Shimmer…in fact, put down the shimmer, full stop. Keep it feeling modern, not 90s, by sticking to a matte or satin finish – if you’re looking to try the trend, here are seven I’ve really been enjoying.
Swatched from left to right, above:
- Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Rose Brown is a great way to dip your toe in the trend; it’s a chunky crayon in a nice and wearable shade that, on me, is a great ‘my lips but better’ type of shade. I keep this one in the handbag that I’m using for work.
- L’Oreal Color Riche in Sepia/Silk 231 is more sheer on the lips than you’d expect from the bullet, which makes it another very wearable option. It leans a little mauve and cool-toned on me and looks very natural.
- Rimmel The Only 1 Matte in Trendsetter is a classic caramel nude that’s impressively opaque but comfortable on the lips. Great with a smokey eye, this is the first shade I’ve tried from this modern matte range but I’m really impressed, and will be stocking up on more.
- Wet n Wild Megalast lipstick in Sand Storm is a spicy orange-toned brown that’s very 90s in colour, but has a nice matte finish to keep it from looking dated. It’s not drying on the lips, it lasts well and it's incredibly affordable too at just €2.99.
- Lancôme’s Rouge in Love Lipstick in 292N, Chez Prune, is a rich, deep purplish brown with a satin finish. These lippies are really lightweight and lovely but have a lot of colour clout; this is also the glossiest of the bunch and - don’t tell the others - but I think it might just be my favourite. That's it in the photo above.
- Chanel Rouge Allure Ink in Expérimenté is a gorgeous reddish brown liquid lipstick – the formula deserves its own post and will get it soon, but the brick red shade absolutely deserves to be part of this round-up!
- Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet in La Desiree is a velvety, brown-toned berry shade that is creamy and comfortable on the lips. I think this one was limited and its inclusion here is actually by mistake; I thought I was grabbing Rouge Audace from the current and fabulous autumn collection (also limited, but you can still grab it now)! This one leans more towards cranberry on the lips but both are stunning shades and this is one of my all-time favourite lipstick formulations.
Is brown lipstick a trend you'll be taking or leaving?
*Press samples featured.