Could this be the perfect girlie getaway? I won’t leave you hanging: the answer is yes, yes it could. True story: on a recent Friday afternoon, 4 frazzled and frankly exhausted women – one of them heavily pregnant – fled the stresses of the city and returned, just 24 hours later, entirely pampered and refreshed. The destination? Killashee House Hotel and Spa, a mere 30 kms from Dublin, but a welcome change of scenery in all respects.
Here’s 10 reasons to round up your besties and let Killashee work its magic on you:
1) It’s only a half-hour drive from Dublin but feels like it’s in the proper countryside, with all the soothing, restful benefits that entails (though not even a whiff of manure!)
2) The décor is the perfect blend of modern and traditional - so whether your group prefers cosy or contemporary, this place fits the bill!
3) Afternoon tea is now served on round tables in the restaurant – a much more elegant, old-worlde setting than the bar, where it was previously served (and for an extra €5, you can add a glass of bubbles).
4) The treatment menu is constantly changing and evolving for the better. Emily eased her mid-moving stress with a warm bamboo massage – a recent addition – while Sarah tried a pregnancy massage from the Mama Mio Pregnancy Treatment list; both were blissed out by the results.
5) Even if you don’t splash out on treatments, the spa facilities are awesome; I spent a good two hours in the Roman-style pool and hydrotherapy suite alone. Alternate between here and the relaxation suite and you could easily while away the day.
6) If your group wants to get more active than ours did, no problemo! There’s a fitness room on site, plus free bike use, and lots of lovely trails and walkways on the grounds.
7) It’s just 6 km from Punchestown Racecourse so why not go all-out with a day at the races – check out Allsun’s tips for acing the best dressed lady awards!
8) And as it’s only 20 minutes from Killashee House to Kildare Village, one of my favourite shopping destinations, sure it would be madness not to stop off and scope out the bargains. And if you ask them nicely at reception, they might even sort you out with a 10% discount card.
9) It works out quite affordable if you stay in twin rooms, like we did – though we were lucky enough to be invited down by the hotel – and keep an eye on the special offers on the website, too.
10) The beds? Ridiculously comfy, with perfect pillows – we all got a great night’s sleep.
What do you look for when you’re planning a wee trip with your pals?