Who remembers their very first MAC makeup purchase? Mine was the original Viva Glam, a really deep shade that, coincidentally, was also the first red lipstick I was brave enough to wear outside the house.
I never went through that OMG-everything-on-my-face-is -MAC stage that some girls did, but I have fallen in love with a lot of their products over the years. We all have our favourites, but for me, these are my must-haves – the ones I reach for most often, and would be lost without.
- MAC Paint Pot in Painterly: This pinkish-beige, matte cream shadow, €20, is the best eyeshadow base I’ve found. It evens out my lid colour, enhances the colour of other shadows and increases their wear-time. I don’t have oily lids so I don’t use it on an everyday basis - but nine times out of ten, if I’m wearing an eye primer, it’s this.
- MAC 217 Blending Brush: Probably the most famous makeup brush of all, this brush is awesome. I use it on powders and creams, for eyeshadow and concealer, but mostly to blend out any harsh lines and apply colour into my crease. It’s the perfect shape and density; I get excited when I see a dupe but so far, nothing has compared. It’s €24.
- MAC Blot Powder: I spent a long time looking for my perfect powder; something that didn’t add colour or coverage but set my makeup, controlled shine and kept my oily t-zone in check. Blot Powder, €26, is pretty much the bomb, which is why I included it over here in my list of the top 10 cult beauty products that are totally worth the hype. The shades are a little off - mine is Medium/Dark, when I'm generally Light/Medium - so bear that in mind if you're buying online.
- MAC Eye Brows Pencil in Stud: This twist-up, self-sharpening brow definer, €18, is in a nice, cool-toned dark brown shade that’s a good match for my brows. It’s not quite as thin as the Kevyn Aucoin brow definer or Anastasia Brow Wiz which are better when my brows are more sparse – but when they’re in a better place, this is the perfect size to speedily define and fill in any gaps.
- MAC Mineralize Rich Lipstick: Launching in spring last year, the Mineralize Rich lipsticks, €26.50, are the newest and most luxurious lipstick formula from the brand. With great colour payoff and a medium shine finish, these contain 77 minerals and have been designed to really nourish and moisturise the lips. This one is Fashion Trip, which you can see in action here.